The Atlanta Falcons kickoff a week-long celebration to commemorate Tony Gonzalez’s 1,000th reception. Gonzalez became only the seventh player in NFL history – and only tight end – to reach that milestone.
I know what you’re thinking. He caught 92 percent of those passes while a member of the Kansas City Chiefs. True, but he’s a Falcon now and as fond of Alge Crumpler as I am, Gonzalez is the best tight end the Falcons have ever had. And that’s playing only 17 games, so we salute the last 8 percent.
If you’d like to partake in the celebration, Jay Adams has the scoop:
The Falcons this week will:
- Declare September 19, 2010, "Tony Gonzalez Day" at the Georgia Dome.
- Honor Gonzalez before the game in a brief ceremony commemorating his 1,000th catch, with Falcons owner & CEO Arthur Blank, general manager Thomas Dimitroff and president Rich McKay in attendance.
- Salute Tony with a video montage that will be shown on the Jumbotron on Sunday prior to kickoff commemorating his historic catch.
- Offer fans the opportunity to purchase a limited number of "Milestone Ticket Packages," which include two tickets to Sunday’s game and a Gonzalez jersey for just $88. For more information about securing the "Milestone Ticket Package", fans can go to AtlantaFalcons.com.
- Reduce the price on all of Gonzalez’s jerseys by 50 percent at Falcons365.com and Sunday at the Georgia Dome. The price reduction on the Gonzalez jerseys begins today and continues until after Sunday’s game.
- Feature Gonzalez on the cover of Falcons Playbook, the official 2010 Game Day Program of the Atlanta Falcons.
- Give away Falcons battle flags to the first 60,000 fans (courtesy of TicketMaster) entering the Georgia Dome.