Recapping the events of April 17:
Marlins third baseman Donnie Murphy has a bone bruise on his left knee (link). Murphy will likely sit Tuesday.
The Mets will speak with outfielder Jason Bay before deciding whether to activate him for Tuesday (link). It probably shouldn't take much to convince the Mets considering how bad they're playing right now.
Mets starter Dillon Gee pitched without any of his gear Sunday (link). Gee will receive at least one more start for New York while Chris Young sits on the disabled list.
Phillies 3, Marlins 2
(PHI) Cole Hamels: 7 IP, 7 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 7 K
(PHI) Placido Polanco: 3-4, HR, RBI
(FLA) Anibal Sanchez: 6 IP, 6 H, 2 ER, 4 BB, 8 K
- The Phillies moved to 10-4 while the Marlins dropped to 8-6.
- Both starters pitched well, leaving the game tied at two. Ryan Webb allowed an unearned run in the eighth for the loss.
- Sanchez labored to 113 pitches due to four walks and eight strikeouts, but he induced seven groundouts to zero flyouts. Hamels induced 10 groundouts while striking out seven.
Nationals 8, Brewers 4
(WAS) Ian Desmond: 2-4, 2B, HR, RBI
(WAS) Ivan Rodriguez: 1-4, HR, 3 RBI
(WAS) Danny Espinosa: 1-4, HR, 3 RBI
- Both teams are now 7-7.
- The Nationals hit three homers as a team, two being three-run shots. Desmond went 4-8 for the doubleheader.
- Jason Marquis allowed two runs on nine hits in seven innings, walking one and striking out four.
- Yovani Gallardo allowed seven runs in 5.1 innings, including two homers.
Nationals 5, Brewers 1
(WAS) Livan Hernandez: 7 IP, 6 H, ER, 0 BB, 3 K
(WAS) Jerry Hairston: 3-3, 2B, HR, RBI
(MIL) Marco Estrada: 6 IP, 5 H, ER, BB, 7 K