Recapping the events of April 22:
Braves third baseman Chipper Jones said his non-surgery knee has been bothering him for 10 days (link). He may sit out Saturday.
Braves reliever Jonny Venters returned to action Friday after sitting out a few days with arm soreness. He pitched a scoreless eighth inning.
Marlins starter Anibal Sanchez took a no-hitter into the ninth inning against the Rockies on Friday. He allowed a leadoff single to Dexter Fowler in the ninth to break it up. Sanchez allowed one run on one hit and three walks while striking out nine.
Mets outfielder Angel Pagan was placed on the 15-day DL with a strained oblique (link).
Mets shortstop Jose Reyes has been playing with a bruised and swollen middle finger (link). Reyes is hitting .318 with a .385 wOBA, including eight stolen bases.
Adam Rubin of ESPN.com wonders if Mets third baseman David Wright's days as a Met are numbered (link).
Marlins 4, Rockies 1
(FLA) Anibal Sanchez: 9 IP, H, R, 3 BB, 9 K
(FLA) Chris Coghlan: 2-4, HR, 2 RBI
- The Marlins moved to 12-6 while the Rockies dropped to 13-6.
- Sanchez took a no-hitter into the ninth despite allowing a first inning run on an error. He threw 128 pitches and induced eight groundouts.
Phillies 2, Padres 0
(PHI) Cole Hamels: 8 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 8 K
(PHI) Ryan Howard: 2-4, 3B, 2 RBI
(SD) Clayton Richard: 7.1 IP, 6 H, 2 ER, 4 BB, 4 K
- The Phillies moved to 13-6 while the Padres dropped to 8-12.
- The Padres' offensive woes continued as Hamels shut them down for eight innings, allowing three singles and one double with no runs. He threw 126 pitches, 82 for strikes, and induced nine groundouts.
Mets 4, Diamondbacks 1
(NYM) Mike Pelfrey: 7 IP, 5 H, ER, 2 BB, 4 K
(ARI) Joe Saunders: 6 IP, 2 H, ER, 3 BB, 4 K
- The Mets moved to 7-13 while the D'backs moved to 8-10.
- Ike Davis hit a two-run homer in the seventh that put the Mets ahead. The play was reviewed and the right call made.
- Pelfrey put together the best start of his season so far, though four of the five hits allowed were for extra bases.