Recapping the events of April 23:
Phillies GM Ruben Amaro believes second baseman Chase Utley could return by the end of May (link). It's certainly possible, though I would still put my money on June being his return date right now.
The Marlins signed pitcher Chris Sampson to a minor league deal (link).
The Marlins signed outfielder Gabe Gross to a minor league deal (link).
Mets starter Chris Young is expected to make his start on Tuesday (link). Young has been out with a biceps injury, but a bullpen session on Saturday went well.
Two former Braves farmhands, Jose Ortegano and Lee Hyde, were designated for assignment by the Yankees and Nationals. Tough day to be a former Braves fringe prospect.
Phillies 4, Padres 2 (11 Innings)
(PHI) Joe Blanton: 7 IP, 8 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 3 K
(PHI) Ryan Howard: 1-5, 2B, 2 RBI
- The Phillies moved to 14-6 while the Padres dropped to 8-13.
- Blanton gave up eight hits but only two for extra bases over seven innings, inducing 12 groundouts.
- Ryan Madson picked up his second save for the Phillies due to another day off for Jose Contreras.
- Tim Stauffer allowed two runs on four hits in six innings for the Padres, walking one and striking out seven.
Mets 6, Diamondbacks 4
(NYM) Jason Bay: 2-4, HR, 3 RBI
(NYM) Daniel Murphy: 2-5, 2 RBI
(NYM) Ike Davis: 2-4, HR, RBI
- The Mets moved to 8-13 while the D'backs dropped to 8-11.
- Bay remained hot since his return from the DL, hitting a homer and driving in three. He is 4-12 in his three games this season.
- Davis' homer was a monster shot to right field, hitting the upper deck at Citi Field.
- Dillon Gee likely earned a spot in the rotation for now, allowing four runs on five hits in six innings, walking one and striking out five.
Rockies 3, Marlins 1
(FLA) Javier Vazquez: 6 IP, 4 H, 3 ER, 5 BB, 5 K
(COL) Jason Hammel: 6.2 IP, 7 H, ER, BB, 4 K
- The Rockies moved to 14-6 while the Marlins dropped to 12-7.
- Both starters pitched well, but Hammel had the better control and outlasted Vazquez.
- Troy Tulowitzki went 2-4 with one RBI.
Pirates 7, Nationals 2
(PIT) Lyle Overbay: 2-4, 2 RBI
(PIT) Jeff Karstens: 6 IP, 6 H, 2 ER, BB, 3 K
- The Pirates moved to 9-11 while the Nationals dropped to 9-10.
- Jose Tabata and Ronny Cedeno each had two hits and one RBI.
- Livan Hernandez gave up seven runs in six innings for the Nationals.