Recapping the events of April 24:
Phillies pitcher Jose Contreras was placed on the 15-day DL with a strained flexor pronator, located on the inside part of the elbow (link). Ryan Madson will take over closing duties. The Phillies called up Michael Stutes to take Contreras' place.
Phillies 3, Padres 1
(PHI) Roy Halladay: 8.2 IP, 5 H, ER, BB, 14 K
(SD) Wade LeBlanc: 8 IP, 9 H, 3 ER, 4 BB, 2 K
- The Phillies moved to 15-6 while the Padres dropped to 8-14.
- Halladay threw 130 pitches while coming up one out short of a complete game. The 14 strikeouts are a season high for the time being.
- Ben Francisco added two hits and one RBI. Shane Victorino hit a homer.
- The Marlins moved to 13-7 while the Rockies dropped to 14-7.
- The Marlins won the battle of the aces as Johnson outdueled Jimenez despite Ubaldo's one hit allowed. Johnson had a rare outing of six flyouts.
- Mike Stanton hit a three-run homer with the game tied in the eighth to seal the win.
Mets 8, Diamondbacks 4
(NYM) David Wright: 2-4, 2 HR, 3 RBI
(NYM) Ike Davis: 2-3, 2B, RBI, 2 BB
(ARI) Stephen Drew: 3-4, 2 2B, 2 RBI
- The Mets moved to 9-13 while the D'backs dropped to 8-12.
- Wright certainly led the Mets to a victory in this game, driving in three on two homers, walking once, stealing a base and scoring three times.
- Jon Niese went seven innings, allowing three runs on six hits.
Nationals 6, Pirates 3
(WAS) Mike Morse: 3-4, HR, 3 RBI
(WAS) Jason Marquis: 6 IP, 8 H, 3 ER, 2 BB, 2 K
- The Nationals moved to 10-10 while the Pirates dropped to 9-12.
- Aside from Morse's big day, Adam LaRoche gave the Nationals two RBIs on a homer and two hits total.