Recapping news and scores from April 30:
Nationals third baseman Ryan Zimmerman will miss six weeks with surgery to repair a torn ab muscle (link). Few players in baseball have as much of an impact on their team as Zimmerman and the Nationals.
Marlins outfielder Chris Coghlan returned to the lineup Saturday and hit leadoff, going 0-3 with two walks. Coghlan will likely need offseason surgery on his shoulder.
Marlins second baseman Omar Infante left Saturday's game with a hamstring cramp (link).
Phillies 2, Mets 1
(PHI) Roy Halladay: 9 IP, 7 H, ER, BB, 8 K
(NYM) Jon Niese: 6.1 IP, 6 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 3 K
- The Phillies moved to 18-8 while the Mets dropped to 11-16.
- Halladay threw just 107 pitches despite seven hits and eight strikeouts over a complete game outing. All seven Mets hits were singles.
- Halladay now has two complete games through six starts. He has seven walks to 47 strikeouts.
- The Phillies took the lead in the seventh on a John Mayberry Jr. homer and Placido Polanco sac fly RBI.
Giants 2, Nationals 1
(SF) Jonathan Sanchez: 5 IP, 2 H, R, 6 BB, 7 K
(WAS) John Lannan: 6.2 IP, 6 H, 2 ER, 3 BB, 3 K
- The Nationals dropped to 12-14.
- The Giants took the lead in the seventh on a run scored on a walk by Lannan.
Reds 4, Marlins 3 (10 Innings)
(FLA) Josh Johnson: 7 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 6 K
(CIN) Edinson Volquez: 5 IP, 2 H, ER, 5 BB, 4 K
- The Marlins moved to 16-8.
- Edgar Renteria sealed the win for the Reds in the 10th on an RBI single.
- Johnson allowed his first hit before the fourth inning this season.