Recapping the news and scores for May 14:
Mets manager Terry Collins said he may start Jason Bay in center field occasionally in order to get Fernando Martinez some at-bats (link). While getting Martinez more at-bats is a good thing, putting Bay in center isn't. It's kind of hard to believe.
Phillies outfielder Domonic Brown suffered a minor setback in his rehab by spraining the UCL in his right thumb (link).
Nationals outfield prospect Bryce Harper is riding an 18-game hitting streak at Class-A Hagerstown. On the season, Harper is hitting .393/.468/.705 with nine homers and 31 RBIs at the age of 18.
Marlins 1, Nationals 0
(FLA) Anibal Sanchez: 8 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 9 K
(FLA) Mike Stanton: 1-3, HR, RBI, BB
(WAS) Livan Hernandez: 7 IP, 6 H, ER, 2 BB, 4 K
- The Marlins improved to 23-15 while the Nationals fell to 18-21.
- Sanchez's last two starts: 15 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 20 K
- Stanton's homer in the seventh inning was the deciding blow in the game.
Astros 7, Mets 3
(HOU) J.A. Happ: 6 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 3 BB, 4 K
(HOU) Bill Hall: 2-4, HR, 2 RBI
- The Mets dropped to 18-21.
- R.A. Dickey allowed at least five runs for the third time this season, giving up six in 5.1 innings.
- Hall, Matt Downs and Carlos Lee all hit homers for the Astros.