Recapping the news and scores for May 16:
Braves outfielder Jason Heyward had a successful batting practice on Monday and should return to the lineup on Tuesday (link). He pinch hit in Monday's game, lining hard to shortstop and reaching base.
Braves third baseman Chipper Jones will test his knee on Tuesday during batting practice (link). If all goes well, he should return soon. If not, surgery and a couple weeks off seems likely.
Marlins shortstop Hanley Ramirez hit second in the order on Tuesday (link). As expected, Logan Morrison hit third.
Marlins 2, Mets 1 (11 Innings)
(FLA) Josh Johnson: 5 IP, 7 H, ER, 2 BB, 3 K
(FLA) Mike Stanton: 2-4, HR, RBI
(NYM) Mike Pelfrey: 7 IP, 6 H, ER, 2 BB, K
- The Marlins improved to 24-16 while the Mets fell to 19-22.
- The Marlins bullpen pitched six scoreless innings after Johnson left due to injury.
- Leo Nunez has converted all 15 save opportunities this season.
- Burke Badenhop singled in the winning run in the 11th for the Fish.
- The Phillies dropped to 25-15.
- A major rarity is seeing Lee walk six batters in a game. He threw 122 pitches over 6.1 innings.
- Westbrook induced 13 ground balls while allowing just four hits for his third win.
- Ryan Theriot and Nick Punto each had two hits and one RBI for the Cardinals.
- The Nationals improved to 20-21.
- Andrew McCutchen went 2-4 with a triple and RBI.
- Jayson Werth is 5-11 in his last three games.