Recapping news and scores for May 2:
Braves catcher David Ross will catch Jair Jurrjens' starts from here on (link). I don't mind this because it gives Ross some regular work, which certainly is not a bad thing. The guy should be starting somewhere.
Marlins third baseman Donnie Murphy was placed on the 15-day DL with wrist inflammation (link). Greg Dobbs and Wes Helms will share time at third in his absence. Outfielder Bryan Petersen was recalled from Triple-A.
Mets pitcher Jenrry Mejia has a torn ligament in his elbow (link). It's the one that requires Tommy John surgery, but Mejia will get a second opinion before making the decision.
Nationals 2, Giants 0
(WAS) Tom Gorzelanny: 8 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K
(SF) Madison Bumgarner: 7 IP, 4 H, 2 R, BB, 7 K
- The Nationals moved to 14-14.
- Gorzelanny scattered a double and two singles over eight shutout innings.
- Mike Morse singled in a run and Jerry Hairston Jr. doubled in a run for Washington's two runs, both in the seventh.
Marlins 6, Cardinals 5
(FLA) Gaby Sanchez: 2-5, HR, 4 RBI
(FLA) Mike Stanton: 3-5, 3B, HR, RBI
(STL) Lance Berkman: 2-3, HR, 4 RBI
- The Marlins moved to 18-9.
- Chris Volstad and Kyle Lohse allowed five runs each.
- Berkman has passed the .400 mark for batting average, sitting at .406 with a .781 SLG.