EDIT: Updated 2011 SEC Tournament bracket here.
Georgia pounded Auburn inside on its way to a 69-51 victory. Trey Thompkins scored 22 points and grabbed 10 rebounds while Travis Leslie added 12 points and 10 boards. The Bulldogs pounded Auburn on the boards out rebounding the Tigers by a final count of 35-22.
Freshman guard Chris Denson scored a career high 21 points for Tigers but the Bulldogs defense limited Auburn's leading scorer Earnest Ross to just four points on 1-10 shooting. Ross scored 30 points in the previous meeting between these two clubs.
Georgia's victory sets up a rematch with Alabama who defeated the Bulldogs 65-57. While Georgia appears to be in the NCAA Tournament field, a victory over the Crimson Tide would remove all doubt. Conversely Alabama is one of the first four team's out in Chris Dobbertean's latest Bracketology projection and a victory over Georgia might be necessary for them to move into the tournament field.
For more on this game, Georgia fans should join Dawg Sports, and Auburn fans should stop by Track Em Tigers.
Updated 2011 SEC Tournament Bracket (all times EST):
Thursday, March 10
- Georgia def. Auburn, 69-51
- South Carolina vs. Ole Miss, 3:30 pm ET
- Tennessee vs. Arkansas, 7:30 pm ET
- Vanderbilt vs. LSU, 9:45 pm ET
Friday, March 11
- Alabama vs. Georgia, 1 pm ET
- Kentucky vs. South Carolina/Ole Miss, 3:30 pm ET
- Florida vs. Tennessee/Arkansas, 7:30 pm ET
- Mississippi State vs. Vanderbilt/LSU, 9:45 pm ET
Saturday, March 12
- Alabama/Georgia/Auburn vs. Kentucky/South Carolina/Ole Miss, 1 pm ET, ABC
- Florida/Tennessee/Arkansas vs. Mississippi State/Vanderbilt/LSU, 3:30 pm ET, ABC
Sunday, March 12
- Championship, 1 pm ET, ABC