Scores from the first round of the 2011 NIT Tournament are in the books, with all three ACC teams advancing. Virginia Tech hammered Bethune-Cookman 79-54 and Miami rolled over FAU 82-65 to join Boston College in the second round. The Hokies draw Wichita State, who blasted Nebraska 76-49, and the Canes get Missouri State, who handled Murray State yesterday by 13 points.
There are actually competitive basketball games going on in this tournament, I swear.
Ole Miss was the victim of one such game falling 77-74 to Cal to leave Alabama as the only SEC NIT team to advance. That was the only game Wednesday night decided by two or fewer scores. The Tide get New Mexico next.
Colorado and Northwestern handled Texas Southern and Milwaukee respectively, while Washington State failed to observe Nate Dogg's remembrance, instead eliminating Long Beach State from competition.
Updated 2011 NIT Tournament bracket and TV schedule:
- No. 4 New Mexico Lobos at No. 1 Alabama Crimson Tide, March 21 at 9, ESPN
- No. 3 Missouri State Bears at No. 2 Miami Hurricanes, March 21 at 7, ESPN
- No. 4 California Golden Bears at No. 1 Colorado Buffaloes, March 18 at 9:30, ESPNU
- No. 7 Kent St. Golden Flashes at No. 6 Fairfield Stags, March 20 at 12:30, ESPNU
- No. 4 Northwestern Wildcats at No. 1 Boston College Eagles, March 19 at 11 am, ESPN
- No. 3 Oklahoma St. Cowboys at No. 2 Washington St. Cougars, March 21 at 11:30, ESPN2
- No. 4 Wichita St. Shockers at No. 1 Virginia Tech Hokies, March 20 at 11 am, ESPN
- No. 6 Charleston Cougars at No. 2 Cleveland St. Vikings, March 19 at 2, ESPNU
For more college basketball, visit SB Nation's NCAA Basketball hub.